We are looking for a senior product designer with management experience to join our Design team. Your job will be to maintain a healthy work environment for the Design team and organize the work of the team internally, as well as do design work as an individual contributor.
The Design Manager role splits between management work (around 30% of the workload) and carrying out the day-to-day design work (the remaining). You’ll be running a small and talented team of 2 (3 counting you), working side by side with developers and the Product Manager, and reporting directly to the Product Lead.
Management & leadership
The list of responsibilities comprises:
- Overseeing the day-to-day operation of the Design team
- Managing the design roadmap (the list of all the design requests that come from the different teams).
- Making sure that designers don’t have any preventable blockers in their daily jobs.
- Representing the team in internal meetings and making sure that the team’s voice is heard across the company.
- Follow-up on the team members
- Scheduling regular 1:1 meetings with the team: listening, giving and collecting feedback.
- Monitoring team performance, addressing problems and making sure that high performance is fairly rewarded.
- Maintaining fluid communication with the Product Managers to ensure efficiency.
- Managing hiring processes for the Design team and helping out with hiring in any other areas of the company as needed.
Design work as an individual contributor
- We need someone able to take a project from the concept phase into production-ready designs. The successful candidate will be responsible for helping shape the future of BeBanjo’s products as well as maintaining existing interfaces.
- You should be able to communicate efficiently with product managers, developers, technical account managers and the rest of the design team. You will be splitting your time between defining the strategic vision of the products’ interfaces and taking the tactical steps to achieve it.
- Besides products, you should be willing to help with all things visual. Our design team is small and we need a candidate that is a generalist designer at heart.
- You are a senior product designer, with experience as a manager. We are not looking for a junior product designer for this position.
- You should be able to communicate clearly in English.
- You should be empathetic, able to work with little supervision, and supportive of others. You also know how to get things done, taking pragmatic approaches when the situation requires it.
- You have solid design foundations. You are committed and care about the quality of your designs as well as presenting them. You pay attention to details as well.
- You shipped digital products in the past from conception to the final touches. You understand your role goes beyond the design files, reacting to user feedback and challenges technology throws at you.
- You must have experience with web technologies and designing modern web products: responsive web design and design systems in particular. We are not asking you to be also a developer, but you should be receptive to feedback.
- You’ll work from where you want. You should have enough overlap with business hours in Europe. Anywhere between New York’s and Mumbai’s time zones will probably work.
- Bonus points if you have experience in UX research.
At BeBanjo, we strive to make our customers great at putting video content online. We build easy to use but powerful web applications to manage TV and video-on-demand (VOD) services. Our customers are broadcasters, Hollywood studios, and platform operators across the globe. Our tools are at the heart of the ongoing revolution in the way films, TV series, and other media content are produced, distributed, and consumed.
We work fully remotely using Slack, GitHub, Zoom, and our homemade tools. But if we feel like going to an office we have those in Madrid, London, and Los Angeles. We host get-togethers in sunny Madrid from time to time because it’s difficult to hug your colleagues over a video-chat!
BeBanjo is not a VC-funded startup. Don’t expect parties, video-games or a gym at the office. We were bootstrapped in 2008, and we’re proud to have built a growing and sustainable business. We value honest, long-term relationships with our staff and our customers.
BeBanjo is part of the MEDIAGENIX group. MEDIAGENIX ranks among the top tech vendors in the international media industry with Media Business Management Platform WHATS’ON.
We care about nurturing an environment where our best work can happen. We’re kind to each other, respect each other, and look after each other. We’re open and collaborative, we listen to everyone and aim for consensus when making decisions.
We don’t work with impossible deadlines. We do not micro-manage people. We treat all staff like grown-ups, and we trust each person to work when and from where they wish. We don’t value long working hours. We believe in using our time efficiently and enjoying a good work-life balance.
We firmly believe in equal opportunities and continuously foster a workplace that is safe and inclusive for everyone.
What we offer:
- Work from anywhere with flexible schedules so that you can be there for the people you love, avoid commuting every day, be a nomad, find the environment where you’re most productive, and plan your day exactly how you like it.
- Salary range between €50K and €55K, depending on experience.
- An indefinite contract. We value long-term relationships with our staff.
- Great flexibility to enjoy however you prefer your 23 days of annual holidays (in addition to the regular bank holidays).
- Any hardware and software you need to do your work comfortably.
- Support for your continuing education and professional growth: books, workshops, conferences…
- An inclusive, supportive, and stable environment where your best work can happen, and you can grow as a designer. We focus on results, not long hours so that you can have a life and don’t burn out.
We want you to succeed, and so, we made our recruiting process more like it is working at BeBanjo in reality: remote (you can do the whole process from home), flexible (you’ll have options in some steps of the process, and we’ll adapt to your schedules), asynchronous (we’ll minimize calls and interviews) and certain (you’ll know what to expect about each step of the process).
Still here? Good! Send an email and include:
- A cover letter telling us a bit about yourself and your background, why you are interested in the position, what your expectations for the job are, and what you will bring to our team.
- Links to your portfolio or website displaying your work
All of the above must be in English, otherwise we won't consider your application.